Dave & Barb Bindewald

Friday, October 21, 2011

Japan Relief Trip - Day 2

It's Friday night. Our first full day was spent packing two vehicles, a van and a flatbed truck, and taking 9 hours for a 5 hour trip. We arrived at our staging area safely and ready for a good day's work tomorrow.
 We started with a guy breakfast of toast, cereal, one pop-tart, and coffee

Good ole Kellogg's Frosted Flakes - taste good in Japanese, too

Steve scrambled up a dozen eggs. Wait, make that 10

Using the gas table burner in our little kitchen

The instant water heater over the kitchen sink

Took us awhile to get our bearings in the kitchen, but we did it

The entry way to our humble home in Chiba

Dave & Stefan outside waiting to pack up for the road trip

 Steve & Stefan having close fellowship
Stefan found this guy outside our house this morning. This is a macro close-up, meaning I was less than 2 inches from him as I took it. His body was about an inch and a half long.

The entrance to Honda Chapel

The lush greenery was amazing

Dave when he found out the flatbed truck he was to drive was straight drive

Paul when HE found out the truck Dave was to drive was straight drive

Getting ready to head north for the 5 (or 9) hour trip

Just about ready

Stuck in traffic! We saw a lot of the back of Wilson's head

We stopped for lunch at a rest area with a wonderful noodle shop

Stefan very excited about Paul's lunch

Five of us had this fried pork cutlet with shredded cabbage, rice and soup lunch 

Wilson expressing just a little too much joy over his

Heated seats, auto motion sensing flush, and...

...well, you figure out what the blue circle might mean

Standard post office box

Don't know if it's still true but I read once that Japan has one vending machine for every 22 people.

Well, we finally made it to our cabin at Takayama where Paul and I stayed last April. We will sleep here (pics to come) each night, doing different jobs and ministries as needed each day. Tomorrow sounds exciting - a coffee house time with a hot lunch served with opportunities to share with residents who have been coming each week since the tsunami hit on March 11. Then helping deliver or install some cabinets, and possibly some mud clean out work.

We do have limited wi-fi here at the cabin so I should be able to post regular updates. Thanks again for your prayers and love! My emergency root canal has given me really very little pain and soreness. We are all very tired and continuing to get over jet lag, but excited for all the Lord will do in us, through us, and even in spite of us.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Keep the updates coming! We love you all and are praying for you. Love the pictures :)